I have been sort of busy all day.
Herself has been bitching for some time now [nearly forty years?] and her latest cause for complaint is the front driveway.
I had to concede that it did look a tad on the scruffy side as it was half gravel, half weeds and had bits of black stuff flapping around in the breeze. I decided to make a start on it, and in the course of my labours I made a few discoveries.
The first discovery was that the black membrane stuff they lay under gravel to stop the weeds isn't rot proof. I discovered that when I pulled on a loose bit and ended on my arse with a tatty piece in my hand. The fucking stuff had rotted.
The second discovery was that the black membrane doesn't actually work. The idea is to prevent weeds growing but what happened is that shit washed in from the lane during all the numerous rainstorms over the years, had mixed with the gravel and had provided a nice fertile bed for weeds.
The third discovery was that I didn't need an extra ton or two of gravel to fill the thin patches. Over the years, the gravel had sort of migrated to the edges so it was thin in the middle and quite deep around the edges. All I have to do is de-weed the edges and then rake the surplus back into the middle.
The fourth discovery is that gravel is fucking heavy stuff to rake.
The fifth discovery was that dog shit, when left in the rain for a while goes all squishy between the fingers. It's a lot worse than the fresh stuff.
The bits I have repaired look a lot better now.
I'm thinking of charging a toll to use it.