Is it any wonder I refuse to term myself a “blogger”?
There is a small item today in which I learn that apparently “bloggers” and “social influencers” are bitch-fighting each other over advertising on their sites.
So far as I can see, the blog scene here in Ireland has been taken over by a mass of Young Wans [they seem to be around 95% female, and I don’t know what the other 5% are] who are all seeking fame and fortune by frantically promoting clothing and make-up. Their happiness seems to be gauged by how many “followers” they have on Snapchat and Instagram, which is obviously where I am missing out as I don’t have accounts in either. In fact I’m not even sure what they are.
Can someone please explain to me what an “influencer” is precisely? It seems to be a highly regarded term and is up there with “professional” and “celebrity”. I have seen one or two on television [with the sound muted!] and they positively preen themselves when the “influencer” caption comes on. I presume it means they influence people, but those people must have pretty minuscule minds if they are taken in by a drop of blatant advertising?
So “Blog” seems to to be a platform [some of the idiots involved even regard anything online such as Farcebook as a blog?] where young people promote clothing, fashion, make-up and the like, and has very little to do with actual writing. I’m not being a snob here, but I just don’t consider “this is a must have lipstick for that celeb occasion” to be worthy of the term writing.
This is quite definitely NOT a blog. I don’t seek to influence anyone. If anything I write gives someone pause for thought than I am more than happy. I do have Twitter and Farcebook accounts but rarely use them. Basically I just set them up to see what all the fuss was about. Snapchat, Instagram and all those other “social media” places are foreign territory and from bitter experience the very act of joining means a constant flood of irritating emails.
My rankings on Farcebook and Twitter have remained more or less static for the last couple of years. Traffic to this site is also static, and in fact has possibly dropped a bit, but I don’t care. That isn’t important. It only becomes important when my readership goes negative.
My preferred title is Scribbler.
I know it sounds like I have a passion for wax crayons and bedroom walls, but I don’t give a shite.