Comments

The cup and the kettle — 9 Comments

  1. me and hockey (most sports actually) but as a Canadian, I am met with stares dropped mouths and the same exclamation, you don't like HOCKEY? may as well be a baby killer, worse I live in the land where atlantic lobster and digby scallops come from…and have a shell fish allergy. More for him to eat 😉

    • In my younger days I used to get that drop-jaw look.  It was simply beyond their comprehension that someone would hate the game.

  2. Soccer is the second most boring thing on the planet.  Golf being first and watching paint dry a good third.  I couldn't give two shitlets about who is playing in much less winning the world cup.  I'm like most Americans that way.

    @Cat  I also have a shellfish allergy.  People look at me like I'm from another plant when I say I don't eat clams or lobster.

    • The only thing that tops Soccer on the boredom scale are people who endlessly drone on about Soccer.  Every one of them seems to think they are the only fucking expert on the planet.

  3. Yes but did you get the kettle?

    Gas kettles or oven top kettles you know the ones that don't have an element are a fiver in Aldi. Not sure if Aldi are on your island but… if they are.

    • I suppose I could have bought a real kettle and hung it over the turf fire on a chain, but I'm lazy – I like to flick a swich.

      I had a great one – a Tefal [I think] but it started leaking and then blew its element.  The one I bought works fine but has a couple of design flaws.  For a start, the filler guage thing is inside the handle and is blue so when you're holding the thing under a tap, you can't see exactly how much you have poured in.  As a result, I tend to fill it almost to the brim each time.  Fucking crazy design.

      And yes, we do have Aldi [and Lidl] but they are a bit of a distance from here.

      • I despair of buying any modern appliance because seems to me they all have design flaws, and not just minor ones, often really stupid features that betray the fact that the 'designers' have absolutely no experience of using the items they design. I have a recently replaced kettle, the transparent bit on this one is where it can be seen, and thank god it does not vent scalding steam over your hand near the top of the handle while you pour like the old one did, but the bloody thing simply won't pour hot water without making a mess, the 'spoutlette' is so small and badly angled that water tracks down the outside every time.

        • The shop I was in had a couple of dozen types and designs.  I rejected about 90% on the grounds that the spouts were aesthetical rather than functional.  I avoid those vertical spots like the plague as I don't see why I should be constantly mopping up.  The remaining 10% had decent spouts but failed in other areas.  How come it's so difficult to design something as simple as a fucking kettle?

  4. For a start, the filler guage thing is inside the handle and is blue so when you're holding the thing under a tap, you can't see exactly how much you have poured in.  As a result, I tend to fill it almost to the brim each time. 

    And they call such things progress.

    Well I and my family are regressing. We binned the perfectly serviceable electric and bought a real kettle for t'gas hob. Next up is making one of these yokes… as we have no shortage of scrap bits of wood to fuel it with and just enough outdoor space to use it safely.

    http://permaculturinginportugal.net/blog/portable-rocket-stove/

     

Hosted by Curratech Blog Hosting
Gravityscan Badge