I read an article over the weekend.
To say that my gast was flabbered would be the understatement of the year.
I was shocked. I was stunned. I think I can safely say I was both shocked and stunned.
Yes, indeed – Biggest Halloween Risk for Kids is Surprising.
Now in fairness, I have to say I was truly surprised. Why did no one tell me this staggering information before?
You see, I was brought up in a house that was full of cigarette smoke. I lived in a world where the majority smoked. I always travelled on the upper deck of a bus, which happened to be the smokers’ deck. Everywhere I went I was surrounded by smoke. In fact I can say that clean air was an extreme rarity. And now I find that I had been breathing something so deadly? You can see how I was shocked?
I had no idea that I wasn’t supposed to enter a house where people smoked.
I didn’t know I was supposed to come down with all those nasty medical complaints.
Indeed, if I had known I would surely have died as it was something that obviously was expected of me.
I’m baffled though how no one ever mentioned these startling facts though. Obviously none of my friends had heard either, because not one of them died.
Now that I do know however, I am going to spread the word. I hope you read the article and drink in every word. Note especially the bit about how your children must never accept lifts in cars driven by smokers. Never ever. Tell them to walk instead. If they are mugged, raped and killed then so be it. At least you will be happy in the knowledge that it wasn’t a whiff of smoke that killed them.
I am puzzled though as to how I have managed to live this long.
Maybe it’s just because the lethal dangers of smoke have only just been invented?
Boy, was I lucky to have grown up when I did!