I use a pre-pay mobile phone.
I generally top up my credit every few months by thirty or fifty yoyos depending on how flush I am at the time. That usually lasts for several months.
I use my phone for several things. I take notes, or check the weather. Occasionally I’ll check the news or use it to fault-find on my home network. The one thing I very rarely use it for is to make a phone call. I receive a lot of calls all right, so it is an invaluable piece of kit. It’s how Herself contacts me at any time of day or night. Our landline has free calls to mobiles so it is cost-neutral.
Last month I topped up my credit by €50 as it said I was running low. Fine. That’ll last a good while.
Over the weekend I got another warning that I was out of credit. After three and a half weeks? I had made two phonecalls in that period and I knew they would cost, but all my other transactions had either been received calls [dozens] and stuff using an Interweb connection. Where the fuck had my €50 gone?
I checked my phone. I had Data Saver on which instructs the phone to only transfer data via the Interwebs. That shouldn’t cost me anything as my Interweb connection is with a different company. I contacted the mobile company. This wasn’t easy as they don’t give out support numbers. I had to use a “chat” yoke. That of course landed me in the surreal wold of chatting to a robot. I eventually [deliberately] confused it enough that it passed me over to a human.
He was a helpful chap. He typed out his name which I noted in case I was playing Scrabble in the future as it was all consonants. Anyways he went through my call history and informed me it was data usage. In spite of my instructions not to use mobile data, something was draining my cash at a hell of a rate.
I found it. I did so by the simple method of limiting my data cap to 1Mb [it had been set to a default of 5Gb]. Almost immediately I got a warning that I had reached my data cap even though I wasn’t running anything. Immediately after I got a message saying a programme wasn’t working properly as it couddn’t connect. It was Google!
Apparently Google has been tracking my phone constantly and sending my location back to HQ. It displayed a map of everywhere I had driven. It listed every place I had been including the coffee shop and the vet. It listed the total time I traveled last month and the total hours spent shopping or in the coffee shop. The fucking thing probably knew what I had bought and what I had chatted about with my mates.
I use a SatNav to tell me where I want to go. That’s fine. I DO NOT NEED a fucking cunting programme to tell me where I have already been…
That’s one little application that has been burned at the stake.
Google are cunts.