I used to think the worst job around the Manor was unblocking the sewers.
Nah! That’s child’s play. All I have to do is run a hosepipe in through the kitchen window, through the back lobby and out the yard door. Then it’s a simple question of opening the manhole and squirting a jet of water to liquefy the … er … contents while poking said contents with a stick. Gravity eventually takes over and the job’s oxo.
No. The worst job is definitely unblocking the kitchen sink and its plumbing.
The sink has taken to emptying itself at a snail’s pace so I knew I had to do the nasty. I tackled it this afternoon.
First of all, I have to get at the pipes. This involves emptying shelves of nearly empty bottles of God know what and packets of stuff that no one uses. Then I have to insert a tray of some kind to catch any water that will pour out when I crack the joints.
Naturally all the pipes are at a tricky height. I have to kneel and crouch down to see them but then I can’t get the leverage so having grasped the various screwey things I then rely on touch and feel. It is complicated down there. There is the main drain which has one of those lever yokes instead of a plug. This means a complicated joint. Then there’s the overflow pipe which hasn’t worked since the rats ate it. Then there’s another drain from the little draining basket, and they all meet together in a maze of connections.
Anyhows I managed to dismantle the maze. Sure enough it was clogged with gunk. I used to laugh at the idea of gagging at a smell. I laugh no more. It wasn’t just the smell, it was the slime and the grease all mixed with hairs that are probably the result of the carpet cleaner. I had to scoop this out by hand and it was not pleasant. At least I remembered not to chuck any water into the kitchen sink and so had to wash every part in the bathroom. I won’t make that mistake again.
I reassembled it all with great difficulty. Trying to slot all those joints by touch is not easy. I filled the sink with hot water to flush any remnants and opened the drain.
It was still blocked!
I disassembled everything again and this time removed the plug/lever contraption under the main sink. I gagged again. It was so far beyond disgusting. I’m going to have major nightmares tonight about semi-liquid slime greasing itself along the floor towards me.
It’s done now. I reassembled everything [on about the fifth attempt] and did the test again. It empties reasonably quickly so whatever I did seems to have worked.
I think I’ll skip dinner tonight though.