My adventures with the banking system continue.
When I had my meeting with the bloke in the new bank he told me that there were a few hurdles I had to jump yet. The main one was that I had to provide statements for all old accounts showing all transactions in the last six months. Once he had those then he’d set up my new account. I phoned the old bank and told them what I wanted though I had to do that twice as apparently Current Accounts are dealt with by a different section from Debit Card Accounts. Typical red tape…
Anyhows time passed. No statements arrived. Then I got a letter from the new bank enclosing a debit card. It seems I have an account?!
I went into the new lot’s website and used the number on my new card. The bloke in the bank had already given me my first temporary password for future use and had also asked me to enter an eight digit number on a keypad. I typed in a number that should be memorable. So I put in the username [a ten digit number] and the temporary one. It then asked me for the eight digit number I had used on the keypad. Fuck! I got thrown out.
At this point I should point out that I have a weird memory. Tell me your name and will have instantly forgotten it. I’m terrible with faces or names. Tell me a number and I’m fine. I can rattle off all the phone numbers I have had since childhood. Debit card numbers are no problem. Library card numbers are easy peasy. I just have a weird thing for numbers. The problem now was that I had forgotten which of the various numbers I had typed in at the bank.
I tried a couple of variations and got a message on screen about my mobile phone [?] and I was to ring the bank. I phoned them and got onto a nice Indian/Pakistani whose accent was so thick that I had to keep asking him to repeat himself. I eventually got the message – for some unknown reason the bank had locked access to my mobile phone and therefore my access to the whole system was locked for 24 hours. I have no fucking idea what that was about but I decided to leave it as I was getting a bit pissed off anyway.
Yesterday [48 hours later] I tried accessing the site. Fuck! I had forgotten my temporary password! Again I phoned a different number and this time I actually had an intelligent interaction with a computer at the far end. It set me up with another temporary one without ever speaking to a live or dead Middle Eastern.
I had worked out which of my remembered numbers I had used so I put in the ten digit, the temporary and the eight digits numbers. It sent me a text with yet another number which I duly entered. It worked!! There was my bank account with nothing in it.
I logged into my old bank account [using my 10 digit username, four digit PIN and eight character password and set up a transfer mechanism to the new bank. I sent off €50 as a test.
I logged into the new bank this morning. There was a shiny new €50 sitting in the account that I was told I couldn’t have.
I think I’ll head down to the local ATM and see if I can withdraw it with my new card.