I had to visit the eye clinic yesterday.
Nothing new there. I didn’t get lost and my eyes are fine. I just have to keep taking the drops [fuck!] and have two new appointments to return in six months and a year. It’s nice that they are confident I will still be around then?
Anyways on the journey I had the SatNav running. It’s mainly used for keeping an accurate speed check and also as a hands-free for my phone. I think I know my way by now.
A minute into my journey a notice obliterated my screen saying some software badly needed updating. No surprise there as I hadn’t updated it in ages. I got rid of the notice and carried on. So today I decided to update the software.
I should have known better.
Now Garmin, in their infinite wisdom only support Windoze or Mac. Also they throttle their connections so any downloads are at dial-up speeds. Because I don’t want to tie this machine up for 24 hours [or more] I decided to use my old stand-by emergency machine – a Packard Bell – which has a dead keyboard and battery.
I fired it up. First problem. No operating system. Fuck!
I removed it from under the junk in the back room and set it up in the comfort of my armchair.
I fired it up. It actually booted up this time so I told it to run Windoze. It happily loaded Windoze 7 so I told the browser to connect to Garmin. No Interweb connection. Fuck!
I decided to connect it to the Interweb using cable as the wireless seemed a bit iffy. I had to do some tweaks to the settings [I hadn’t used it since I got fibre] but it connected.
Of course all this time I was having to kill little notices telling me that this that or the other was outdated and offering to update everything. Fucking irritating. I closed them all.
I opened the Garmin site. My password wouldn’t work! I managed to reset that and got into their back-end site where I get updates and all that malarkey. They told me I needed to download their software so the SatNav could talk to their server. This is the stage that can’t be done in Linux, the bastards. I downloaded it
I ran their little program. It failed but gave no reason whatsoever. I downloaded it again just to be sure. Same result. It will not run for love nor money and still gives no reason.
I decided that maybe Windoze wasn’t quite up to date enough for it and maybe there was one of those Service Pack fuckers missing. I went into Windoze Update. 43 updates and God knows how many gigabytes. Fuck!
I decided to install them anyway as at least I can leave the old machine to run along in the background.
It’s sitting there. “Downloading 43 Updates (0 KB total, 0% complete)”. It is doing sweet fuck all apart from a little green slidey thing showing me a progress that doesn’t exist.
God I hate Windoze!