I have always had a fondness for logic..
I think it started back when my father gave me a book. I can’t remember its name but it was packed with conundrums, logical fallacies and mathematical proofs that proved the impossible. I used to get it in the neck for proving to the maths teacher that any line is always longer than itself, or that it is perfectly possible to drop two separate perpendiculars from one point onto a straight line. In retrospect, I don’t know why I wasn’t thrown out of class.
Logic though was the fascination. If I state categorically that everything I write on this site is a lie, then that seems reasonable? But I wrote the last line therefore that statement has to be a lie, therefore everything I write has to be the truth, which again contradicts that statement.
I suppose that’s one reason I like messing with computers. They work by very strict rules [unless those rules are written by Microsoft of course] and will always do exactly the same thing time and time again. And if the rules work on one machine but not on another, it’s not the rules that are at fault but something else.
My little obsession with my comment buttons was a case in point.
I don’t give a damn whether those buttons work or not. It is irrelevant to me one way or another. However, they worked perfectly on one site but not on another. Why? The code must be fine or it wouldn’t work on either machine so it had to be something else. It became a quest to solve a problem in logic and not a quest to find some dud fucking code.
My problem was that the test site differed from the live site in several important ways, so i had to work through all those differences one by one. But then I had the idea of running the code on a third site which was almost identical to this one. The buttons worked perfectly on the third site which left me in a drop of confusion.
So I set up a bit of comparison, with three columns – Site 1, Site 2 and Site 3., where Site 1 was this site, Site 2 was the test site and Site 3 was the almost identical site. So buttons worked in 2 and 3 but not 1.
I found it.
By meticulous comparison, I found a little thing on 1 that wasn’t on 2 or 3. It was a trivial little thingy that had fuck all to do with comments, writing or just about anything else. I removed it. 1 now works.
As I said, it’s trivial. It’s of no consequence. The buttons aren’t important. I can live without them or leave them.
What is important is the unravelling of a bit of logic, the fixing of the problem and the satisfaction of having discovered the cause.
I just hope those buttons work now!