I received a few mails yesterday and this morning.
Some of you were kind enough to let me know there was a problem with the site.
The rest of you just shrugged and fucked off without saying a word. Thanks very much.
It seems it was a worldwide phenomenon [that word is easier to spell than say!] as I received reports from such diverse spots as Australia and Germany. The symptom was quite simple – the site just said that I hadn't posted anything since September the 2nd. If I had known about it earlier in the month I could have saved myself a lot of trouble and scribbling.
So I delved into the darkest pits of the engine room once more and started pulling plugs out of the wall. There are quite a lot of them and I had no idea which one was faulty, so I just pulled out everything except the one that actually powers the site. It was red hot at that stage.
Then I got a mail to say the site was working again, but quite slowly.
So now I am tentatively inserting the plugs back into the wall, one by one, and hoping nothing blows up. If there is a conflagration, then the only solution would be to rebuild the whole lot from scratch.
It's really dark and dusty in this engine room.
At least I found that screwdriver I thought I'd lost months ago.
It had dropped down behind the grommet switch.