I am feeling somewhat ambivalent.
I have done something that may or may not have very long lasting consequences, and I’m still not sure whether I should have done it. Or not, as the case may be.
For some time now Herself has been on at me to get another dog or a cat. The cat bit I can ignore and come up with loads of excuses why not.
The dog bit is a bit harder. Her argument is that I am very attached to Penny and if anything should happen to her, that I would be devastated. There is an element of truth there but I reckon that Penny has a few miles left on the clock yet, even if she’s costing me a fortune in pills, Calpol [yes – kids analgesic – I was surprised too] and monthly injections.
Arguments in favour of another dog….
It would give a dog a warm[ish] loving home for the rest of its days.
It would soften the blow if anything happened to Penny.
It might [or might not] give Penny someone nearing her own kind for a bit of companionship and might show her there is more to life than sleeping and the odd pee in the garden.
Bang goes the chance of a holiday in the foreseeable future – two dogs plus luggage plus Herself in the car? Nah. I suppose I could leave Herself at home though?
Penny mightn’t be too happy at an interloper in her domain. She’s not pushed about other dogs and gets bored of them easily.
It’s tricky enough bringing Penny for a walk as she keeps tripping me up or has to be dragged away from an interesting pee/poo. Two dogs together would be a double handful.
Anyhows, the subject had cropped up again recently what with Penny’s health problems and once again I had put a stop to it. I don’t want another dog. But I looked up a website just out of curiosity to see the kind of rescued dog looking for a home. The very first one that popped up was a beauty. A female Lurcher, a couple of years old and looking for a quiet home with no kids [and preferably with an existing dog for company]. I shut off the laptop.
Daughter was here last week and she started telling me to get another dog. I laughed it off and said there was no chance. But to show her I wasn’t dismissing the suggestion altogether I showed her the Lurcher.
It’s fate, she shouted! She’s a great believer in fate apparently. Her theory is that Fate had brought that Lurcher to my attention and that it had chosen me [assuming it has Interweb connections?]. She told me I had to apply to adopt it. I pointed out that the picture had been there for a while and the dog had probably already settled into a new home somewhere. She was having none of it. She has decided that’s the dog for me and I have to apply to adopt.
That evening I filled out the form. It’s long and very detailed and they even wanted photographs of my estate. I paused before sending it. Then purely as a test of Daughter’s theories I sent it.
I have to wait now. If Fate has determined that I have a new dog, then so be it. But if that particular dog is no longer available, then that’s it. The Fates have spoken.
End of story.