I have had a little problem for some time.
No, it’s not the sort of problem I would bring up in a doctor’s surgery and in fact has no medical connotations at all.
I have actually had three problems.
The first was that damned Gutenberg thing. I finally sorted it by rebuilding this site from scratch. Kind of drastic? The editor seems to actually work properly now though I still don’t like it.
My second problem cropped up last night. I spend my evenings up in the attic to give Herself some company. I was browsing around in the vain hope that Sky might be showing something tolerably watchable [hah! No chance] when it started moaning that it couldn’t connect to the Interweb. Fuck!
I brought my laptop up and ran a series of tests which hinted that the router downstairs was working fine, and the router upstairs was working fine. Bugger. They are connected by a cable and I checked both ends of that cable. Both were grand. Shit! Had one or other router packed up? I spent a couple of frustrating hours trying a couple of spare routers and it wasn’t made any easier by Herself complaining in the background that she couldn’t browse the latest films [more shite from Marvel, or something subtitled no doubt].
I finally fixed it by accident. I was downstairs in the
junk room office when I noticed a network yoke that was dark when it should be happily sparkling away like the Blackpool lights. I suddenly remembered that the connection between downstairs and upstairs went through this box and sure enough, a network cable had worked loose for some reason. I firmly plugged it in and voila everything worked properly so Herself can now watch television and listen to her radio [Joe Duffy, God help us!].
The third problem has been bugging me all week. It was those little lists on the sidebar that refused to update no matter what I did. For those of a technical bent, those little rectangles are supposed to take their info from two files that automatically update every few minutes. The files are updating but the page isn’t. It is a fucking caching problem and seems to only apply to Firefox/Waterfox. I hate caching problems as they are a right bugger to solve.
Now I may have sorted that little fucker but I’m not sure. My problem is that I have to wait until the generated file in the background changes, and that may only happen every hour, depending on who is posting on the Interwebs, and when they post.
Leastwise, I’m getting there.
I’ll know in a couple of hours time…….
Update: Fuck! Still not working. Don’t feel quite as good as I did before.